Monday 13 July 2009

The worry of having children

I am emotionally and physically exhausted. I've just spent the day at hospital with my son. He had a minor operation today. He needed a general anesthetic for it. I think its the parents who suffer the most. There is something utterly terrifying watching your child being given an anesthetic and then suddenly drooping, asleep on an operating table (a 10 second job). Once asleep, the parents are literally herded out of the room and told to wait back upstairs till after the op.



My son was number 5 on the list so He and I had to watch 4 other children being wheeled out of the ward for their op and then wheeled back in often recovering from the anesthetic by screaming on and on. Its gut wrenching.



I was already emotional by the time my son was taken down. During the op I had to keep hiding in toilets as I was sobbing constantly. My mum died 2 years ago during a fairly straight forward procedure, under a general anesthetic and even though my son's case bore no comparison, my heart was quite literally in my mouth.



He's completely recovered now. In fact he is outside playing football with his brother and sister. As for myself I've got my eye on a nice glass of red wine, a very very large piece of lemon meringue pie with lots of cream and 'The Young Victoria'. Drink, food and a lovely, sentimental romantic film should sort me out.



Its definitely true though, kids can literally worry you to death!

No comments:

Post a Comment