Thursday 9 July 2009

Graduation day and guilty mother syndrome












My son is getting very excited - its his Graduation ceremony next Wednesday evening. The smart trousers and shirt are out ready to be ironed and his shoes are polished.



My son keeps referring to this momentous event as his gradulation - he can't say it properly because he's only 4 and is graduating from nursery school (it must be an American thing to do. I'm sure the British don't usually make such a fuss). The conversations just keep getting stranger, such as who is going and who is not and why they will or won't be there. My son thinks one child is not graduating (she isn't old enough) because she hasn't got a bone in her leg. Another child is only 3 and therefore most definately will not be there. It gets more prestigious by the minute.


There's going to be a disco. I'm dreading it. I don't dance. I suppose I'll be expected to move along to the Cbeebies hit list.



It all seems a bit ridiculous, solemnly watching a group of 4 year olds graduating! Personally, this is one event that I wouldn't mind missing out on my social calendar. I'm only going because the other parents are going and I think its quite possible that many of the parent's at my son's nursery are only going because everyone else is.




My son hasn't got a clue what its all about. I've already had to explain its not his birthday or the birthday of one of his friends.

I hope I get a free photo out of it. Probably not though. More than likely there will be a hired photographer there and extortionate prices will be charged for photos of the event and that little guilty feeling will be gnawing at me, telling me if I don't spend my money I will be a bad, guilty mother.



No comments:

Post a Comment